What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. Energetic during lectures.Quick to answer questions in the group online.
2. Loved the enthusiasm in Prof Riely's voice everyday. Great to learn from someone like that. Very intelligent and shows he cares about the students.
3. Strengths: Excellent communication with students. Good at explaining concepts.Weaknesses: No large ones.
4. James Riely was a fantastic instructor, he is definitely one of the very best instructors I've had at depaul. Riely teaches with great energy and enthusiasm, and for me, that is always one of the best and most important things you can hope to have in an instructor. His knowledge on everything he taught was also tremendous.
5. He is very knowledgeable and personable. He is also very available for help outside of the class.
6. Fun and interesting
7. Professor Riely was a very good professor. He did an excellent job explaining the material, even though it was really difficult. I think that he should edit and simplify the powerpoint slides for future classes, however.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
3. The homework assignments were very informative.
5. His lectures made the readings, which were incredibly challenging, a lot more understandable.
6. The topic in general
7. I thought that the online discussion board was a really great idea. I wish people had used it more though! I also liked the weekly quizzes, not because I actually LIKED taking them, but because they kept me accountable for the material.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
3. Find a different textbook. "Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective" is full of confusing wording and unclear diagrams.
4. Perhaps slow it down JUST A TAD, its very rigorous, but also very rewarding.
5. I felt that it was really difficult for an undergrad level class, so perhaps it should be split up into two classes to spread out the work and give people more time to get a hang on the concepts.
6. More frequent and shorter classes
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
2. THE fastest grading ever.
5. The grades were very fair.
2. Great course, great teacher. Grade A.
5. It was an interesting, but extremely challenging course.
7. This class was great, and I enjoyed attending, even if the homework was really difficult!