What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. The prof is very smart but the teaching method I found to be not as effective as I would like. Granted the material is hard and weighs in here but I felt like I struggled almost every class and on homework and labs.
2. Out of all my professor in my academic career, Professor Riely stands out as the worst. He is a prof that is only there to do research and has no teaching ability to new students. He is terrible and should not be teaching undergraduates. He doesn't allow questions from students.
3. strengths were his enthusiasm and his weaknesses were the homework assignments
5. The instructor was not able to see questions from the student's aspect.
6. The professor knows his stuff. The only issue is that he sometimes does not explain the homework well enough.
7. The instructor was very fast paced. He did not seem like he enjoyed answering questions, and was worried more about getting through the material than making sure students understand it.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. Learning this valuable material is great for my IT career.
2. Nothing. Professor Riely is terrible. He cuts off students. He doesn't take questions and instead choose to rush through the material.
3. the homeworks
5. The debugging aspect was the most beneficial to me.
7. The entire thing. Bits and bytes were great to learn, and so what the buffer overflow.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. Make sure everybody understands what is going on before moving on, if they don't then it might not be the most effective teaching methods.
2. Hire another professor to teach this class.
4. Little more explaination of things/topics using practical (labs etc) approach will make it more better in understanding things
5. More time for homework and more inclass exercises.
6. The course is fine, I just believe the professor should do better with explaining the given assignments. Well, on second thought. Probably will never happen, but I think a course like this needs at-least another week or two extension.
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
1. Grading and exams were all fair and standard.
2. His lab assignments were unnecessary and offered almost no benefit.
6. Grading and exams were fine. Challenging as they should be. Exams I mean.
7. Grading was fair, and on time.
1. Prof Riely is very bright but he should explain some things a little more instead of diving right in to them at a quick pace. The course material is very difficult to many people.
2. Professor Riely is terrible and shouldn't be teaching at DePaul. By far, he is the worst professor I've ever had.
6. The professor is very nice though. He's corny sometimes. Ha.
7. I really enjoyed the homework assignments. Among the most valuable and helpful homework I have come across.