What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. Incredible instructor! Clear, excellent communication, timely grading. Everything about him is wonderful
2. Very knowledgable and always available to help. Presents the material in an engaging fashion.
4. Professor Reily was a great professor who clearly knew what he was talking about. Sometimes it seemed like he hard trouble teaching the information at our level, but that is also strongly due to the difficulty of the content.
5. Great instructor.
6. Prof. Riely is very good at presenting information and making lectures more enjoyable. I honestly can't imagine taking this class with someone boring. I think that it's some of the most bland/boring material but he comes in with a smile all the time and manages to keep me awake during class.
8. strength: presenting a tough topic with a enthusiastic and humorous manner. Quick responses for help. lecture notes are very helpful since the book is difficultweakness: go over some topics too quick and skipping some content
10. He stimulated interest in the subject by presenting the material in an enthusiastic manner. Was willing to spend a time answering student questions, even on material already covered, which was helpful. A little more student participation could have been encouraged.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. entire course was very valuable to me.
2. The labs were very helpful for me to learn this fairly abstract material.
3. Learning about machine level language, and how things work in the memory, register, and stack.
4. Homework and quizzes
6. The labs were really helpful, although also very challenging. I feel like this class would be better if taught over a semester's time, just one unfortunate thing about the quarter system.
9. the knowledge of the basic framework of computing
10. The homework labs helped with the concepts that we were learning in class.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. all is near perfect. may be revisit some slides for more clarity
4. More time going over the homework.
5. Make the class meet more than once a week. Add a lab where a TA is available.
6. I don't know, I feel like it's a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time. I'm not sure if the first part of the class, before the assembly language, is really even necessary. I covered a lot of that in Discrete Math. I didn't think it contributed in my knowledge of the later portions of the class.
8. of the two book required for this course. we really only used one of them. i havent touch the other book at all and was never discussed. recommend not requiring this book since i paid so much for it and never used it.
10. Perhaps a little more student participation at times during the lecture, or more in class exercises similar to the quizzes.
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
1. all FAR above average
6. I think the grades are done pretty fairly. I'm probably around the middle of the class in terms of grades but I feel that it's done in a fair manner.
9. fair and balanced
1. fantastic professor, awesome class
2. I've really enjoyed each class, Prof. Riely presents the material in a very engaging way.
3. Dr Riely is one of the first CS professors I've had that has a personality. He's not some stuffy stereotypical CS prof, and to me it made it easier to listen to him because it didnt seem like he was being condescending the whole time.
4. Great professor, but hard class.
7. I like this course and the instructor was really goodBut i think it has a lot of information that can be seperated in two courses to spend a good time on them
8. hard but great class!
10. Really enjoyed the course, thank you!