|Course:||CSC 447 701|
|Course Name:||Concepts of Programming Languages|
|Return to List|
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- I think there is no weakness of my instructor.
- Prof. Riely seems to be very knowledgeable about the subject. He's enthusiastic and seems to genuinely want students to learn. He is very helpful when answering direct questions. But his presentation of the material during lecture was more scattered than most other classes I've taken. He moves very quickly over the slides and does not give enough background on details of the many languages covered. Many students had not seen, for example, closures or function pointers before, and the class seemed to start with more advanced examples of these topics. We spent a lot of time on tricky edge cases rather than learning a solid grasp of the fundamentals, which I found disappointing. However, it was still a good class overall and Prof. Riely is a fair and engaging teacher.
- Professor is cute and good!
- Knowledgeable and clear.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- Help me to improve my programming level.
- Good introduction to functional programming and overview of how different programming languages work.
- learning multiple programming language
- Thought me a lot about PL and showed me the differences between PLs and why it is.Excellent job!
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- Consider covering fewer languages. Consider going more slowly over the material. Consider reviewing the quizzes to make sure that what's asked on them was covered on the worksheet, homework, or lecture.
- Too much languages involved in this course
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- Please consider not having multiple choice on the exams, or at least not 100% multiple choice. Many of the questions were very tricky and may not reflect understanding of the fundamentals of the material.