CSC 300 610
||Data Structures I
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- I really appreciated how the professor wanted us to leave the class with a deep, foundational understanding of the course content.
- The instructor definitely knows programming and is a great professor to have teach and introduce data structures. During class he explains everything in detail when going over quizzes or assignments and tries to answer any question he can no matter what it is. There are no weaknesses I saw during this quarter.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- The homeworks.
- The videos were helpful in learning the material. The examples shown were easy to understand and apply to my own programming for the homework assignments. Going over the quizzes and homework solutions during the live lectures helped me understand where I went wrong on a homework assignment.
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- examity was hard for me I had many problems taking them and ended up spending an extra hour to everything setted up
- Some form of testing code for exams.
- The only suggestion I have would be to teach some of the material during the live lecture instead of just the lecture videos that are posted on the website.
- Use the two class days for lecture instead of using it to go over homework and stuff
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- I know other courses have similar exam scores/results, but I don't think a 66% class average on a midterm is very healthy. The course is reasonably challenging, and you can learn a significant amount in this class if you apply yourself, but I don't think exams should be that hard to the point of a D average and it is a serious detriment to those trying to maintain their GPA. I think that even with an easier exam, students who have the drive will still learn what they need to and more, and although yes there will be more people that don't, that is on them as students and they will only end up hurting themselves.
- I found it extremely unfair that we weren't able to use eclipse on the midterm and essentially had to memorize code to input into a textbox that didn't really support the formatting of code.
- The concepts covered were neat!