CSC 300 501
||Data Structures I
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- Doesn't explain what is going to be on exams. Homework does not really help with exams and finals.
- I really liked how the professor also used discord, as it allowed students to reach out to each other and ask/answer questions and also allowed the professor to quickly respond to questions.
- Strengths are that he is fun, reasonable, and very much intelligent. No weaknesses.
- One major weakness is that past and or during week 5, we stopped learning in class and started learning from the book.
- Uses Discord to maintain contact making him extremely easy to contact whenever you have questions and is quick to respond. Often pins his responses so everyone can see the answer in case the information was missed by others.
- Strength at least in my view was easily accessible through the discord chat.
- He would go over different student's programs and correct them in order to understand what the problem is and help us understand the errors that need to be fixed.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- Recorded lecture and late hw assignments
- I really liked how the professor had video lectures uploaded online that I could reference whenever I was confused about something.
- Having the course videos on YouTube was really nice because of the features that YouTube has.
- Learning on how to make my code more efficient in Java.
- Professor Riely's website for the course was the most beneficial overall. His lectures and notes that you could go through each week was helpful and easy to return to when you needed.
- Learning the various structures and their uses was very interesting.
- The recordings of different programs and how they work were very beneficial.
- neatly organized answered many questions
- Learning data structures and java
- How he set up homework
- the course work
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- Clearer understanding of what is going to be on the midterms and final exams. Study guides would be a good idea.
- Get books that explain on what is and how to use Linked Lists, because both of the required books didn't go over how to use them, we only learned about Linked Lists in class.
- I think the biggest improvement that could be made is trying to be more concise and clear when explaining a topic.
- Nothing I can currently think of.
- I think for many students, it was difficult to ask for help when behind, I'm not sure how this could be solved though, maybe an SI tutor or similar?
- Probably make the homework due at 11:59 pm on the next day instead of 10:00 am.
- more examples in class
- no lockdown browser
- maybe more detailed explanation, especially because not everyone has java knowledge. it was hard catching up/ stringing along for me
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- Should be given more times for exams. They were very hard and did not know what to expect.